Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:56:23 -0700

Ok, I struck a nerve here but I am not sure which one.

I am not into policing anything anywhere at anytime. Just some recognition
for those prints made by the artist themselves.

If you want to look at something that really stinks, look at the limited
edition scams. If you will notice Annie Liebowitz (sp?) has a limited
editon of John and Yoko, you know the one with John nekked lying on top of
Yoko. If you will notice there is two "limited" editions: one with is eyes
open and one with them shut. Otherwise they're identical. Ah the miracles
of motordrives. Don't we all crank out an extra shot when we think we got
it right?? Oh, and there are the "limited" editions that are limited only
to size and/or process. Truth in purchasing, many galleries do not reveal
these little nuances.

--Dick Sullivan

At 01:52 PM 2/22/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>I respect the art of making the print as much as the art of making the
>image
>>and believe this would put credit where credit is due. I also think that
>>collectors would appreciate the knowledge of who made what. A Moonrise by
>>Sexton might be valued differently than a Moonrise by Ross.
>>
>>Opinions?
>>
>>Naw... no one has opinions around these parts.
>>
>>--Dick Sullivan
>>

>Oh, I have an opinion on that! It stinks!!!
>
>Recently, I got up to make a presentation of a single photograph, one copy
>verticle and the other horizontal, that's two prints.
>
>Before me, was another photographer, whose prints are supberb. This time,
>his color work was done by scans, mounted on black board by yet another set
>of hands; and addmitable manipulated into a realm of interpretation by the
>printer. Not the photographer's interpretation, but acceptable to the
>photographer by his admission.
>
>It stinks!!!
>
>In a group of photographers, what is shown should be what they printed.
>
>Fewer and fewer photographers who print their own work are participating.
>
>I write on the (left from the viewer's perspective) the number of prints,
>fraction line, and the number of this edition; and when I do it again, I
>write the fraction with a decimal to show it's the number of the edition.
>On the right, I sign it.
>
>I agree, if you have a lab doyour work, even with or without your
>supervision; you should mount or hav it mounted wih the fraction and name of
>the lab.imp.
>
>Good policy.
>
>Let's get some Usi's and police the shows, galleries, acutions and museums.
>
>Count me in.
>
>S. Shapiro

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com