Re: Densitometer Value

Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:16:19 -0800

At 05:57 PM 2/22/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Price is very difficult on an item like this, and of course a thing is only
>worth as much as someone else will pay for it. I too have a Weston 877, in
>excellent condition for which I paid nothing. It works perfectly, with its
>limitation and is a very interesting period piece. I don't know the date of
>manufacture of the 877 but it looks to be from the 40s or 50s. I would not
>pay $200 for one, but I certainly would not sell it for $20. All
>considering I believe something over $100 is in the ballpark, if for no
>other reason than collection value.
>
>Sandy King
>

>>I bought mine for $20
>>SS

  A caveat. The Weston Analyser uses a Selenium cell. They can have the
same problem with getting non-linear that the similar cells used in
exposure meters have. When this happens the meter reads right for low and
medium light levels but low for higher levels. So any device using a Se
cell should be checked to make sure the cell hasn't become degraded. If you
pay anything substantial for one you should have the right of return.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk@ix.netcom.com