Re: The Great Film Fogging Problem

Kurt Seefeldt (seefeldt@s.imap.itd.umich.edu)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:33:10 -0500

I had a fogging problem with my homemade 4x5 "daylight" developing
tubes. I foolishly made them out of white PVC pipe, which is not
lightproof. I knew this, so I develop in the bathroom with the lights
off, but the door open so I can see where I'm dumping my chemicals.

I ended up fogging some film and finally figured out that it was from
removing the loaded tube from my blackbag near the open door. This is
easy to remedy - just stay away from the door.

I hope to get around to making a set out of the gray or black PVC,
which is supposed to be better for light protection. When I get them
done, I'll post the results of the testing I do, which will be as
simple as exposing a loaded tube to the light and developing like Bob
did. Based on my schedule, don't expect anything soon.

Cheers,
Kurt