Re: Elastoseal for bellows repair and /or making?

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:09:23 -0700

I have to disagree with Patrick Alt, Elastoseal is not a short term repair
method and is nothing at all like acryic paint. Elastoseal, in my opinion,
can effectively restore an old bellows. A complete recovering with the
material makes pinholes disappear and the bellows acquires a new skin. The
covering material is environmentally more stable than the original bellows
material. How long would acrylic paint last on a tin roof in Sedona before
flaking?

I have no qualms about replacing a bellows with a new one. I think lots of
folks have cameras that would be serviceable with a restored bellows that
may not be worth having a new bellows made for. I ordered a new Calumet
bellows for my C1 8x10 before I discovered the magical properties of
Elastoseal. I put on the new bellows anyway and am going to build a
compendium out of the restored one.

Methinks Patrick makes negative claims without having tried it.

--Dick Sullivan

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com