Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:25:14 -0700

At 10:49 AM 2/23/99 -0800, you wrote:
>It's time to form a Guild. The PPM Guild; Photographic Print Makers Guild.

>Why Not?

Why not?

First off a guild implies exclusivity. The European guild system was busted
only because the Great Plague devestated the arts and crafts population and
they were forced to admit new members.

Who's going to man (or woman) the gates? Or do you admit everyone.

Power politics -- egads!

If you are talking "union" that doesn't always imply exclusivity -- perhaps
association would be a good word for it.

I can however see a professional organization that would enforce standards
and ethical conduct. The first issues I could see would be truth in
advertising and sales. Editioning would be another issue and who made the
print would be another.

The other problem is that artists are supposedly not "joiners" though from
its modern history, that would be hard to conclude.

Lots of problems ... maybe.

--Dick

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com