Re: Guilds - Problems

Richard S. Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:29:38 -0700

Bob points out some of the problems that would be encountered if a group
was set up. I think it falls under my "power politics" statement.

On the other hand, what Steve proposed was nothing more than a professional
organization that would be >>voluntary<< and would impose on its members a
code of conduct.

No one said anything about restricting any such organization (we really
jumped way out front here) to only people who made their own prints. I
suppose if it were called the Photographic Printmakers Assoc., you might
have to demonstrate in some way you made prints. I dunno. ASMP has a
requirement that you have published photographs in mainstream print media
since it is a media photographers organization. You can join as "related
arts member" if you are not a practicing meda photographer.

And yes there are "bad" organizations full of crooks, but that's quite a
leap to assume what Steve proposes would be too.

As for editioning, I only propose a truth in disclosure formula. That seems
simple enough. If your edition is limited only to that size only or that
process, say so to the buyer. I believe John Stevenson enforces something
like that. That's my method. If you have trouble with that....

Professional organizations abound that impose stricter regulations on its
members than the law proscribes. I served on the boards of several in the
computer field. The law is general purpose where the professional
organizations can fine tune ethics. Both the DPMA and ACM had ethical rules
restricting computer professionals from disseminating private information
before the laws restricted it.

I also fail to see where any such organization would in your words limit
diversity.

I took Steve's proposal in a "what if" sense. I am not too keen on it
myself, but I am willing to explore the idea.

Organizations do a lot. They can:

Publish journals
Have conventions
Establish standards and ethical conduct codes
Lobby for legislation
Provide educational services to schools.
Provide speakers for events
Mediate issues between galleries and photographers

 ASMP does much of this for print photographers but there is no
organization that speaks for fine arts photographers. From the ASMP web site:

The ASMP has three purposes
To protect and promote the interests of photographers whose work is for
publication.
To promote high professional standards and ethics.
To cultivate friendship and mutual understanding between photographers.
<<

One one hand I think it would be valuable to have an organization like this
providing these kinds of services to fine arts photographers. On the other,
it would be a lot of work fraught with problems. It doesn't exist, probably
never will, but it is a long ways from becoming the evil empire that Bob
envisions.

--Dick Sullivan