Re: Fwd: Re: Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:27:46 -0800

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

>What about all those famous photographers that shoot Kodachrome. I'll bet
>none of them processed their work.
>
>RM

But, did they sell the prints in a Museum gallery; or were they toutedas
artists?

I don't think so. I think people by big photographs because they like the
images, as much as the fact that they admire the 'eye' of the photographer.
Many buyers of 'photography' buy to hang something on the wall.

When you get into the archiving of fine art, the craft to it's finest
potentiol, the insight to the finest eye; then you have a print and
photographer who made the print in a sacrosant of archiving that makes it
worthy of a guild.

Many of us do this routinely and perhaps have a right to be upset over the
Cartier Bressens and followers who sell work printed by others.

But, as a select grop who pride ourselves on the fun of making fine work
presented to the public for sale, we lay in our archival habit with the
Edward Westons of the world and give rise to the questionof awe, "How did
they do that?" As well, the "Gosh what a moment." .." ... feeling, sun
position, moon position, etc. etc."

What we're doing is having fun and selling those instants.

I'll stop before going into the Putlizer Prize winning photographer who
committed suicide, and Man Ray's widow's maid who abscounded with some
negatives and whose boyfriend printed from them retching in (I mean raking
in) millions from greedy German collectors who thought they got something
sacred for less than value.

Steve

Yeah, let's form a guild. We can sell these essays bound in an illustrated
volumes and call it ... Camera Works. Maybe Sullivan's Camera Works and
with it a catalogue of more stuff we can have more fun with.