Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:10:30 -0500

Garry Miller wrote:
> ... Then let the public that wants to become 'enlightened' to this . ...

And herein lies one of the biggest challenges. Just how are we to
enlighten the public; they ain't goin' to git it on theys own. And
further, the public is constantly mis-enlightened (new word, I guess) by
the onslaught of fabrication from those con-artists.

Richard Sullivan wrote:
> ... I think the most viable organization would support the "professional" or
> "semi-professional" fine arts photographer. An organization like this would
> probably be at odds with most amateur concerns. ...

But I was thinking that this organization (guild, if you want) would
really be at odds with the established professionals. As they already
work the system, they might feel threatened by the promotion of a set of
standards or ethics. Yes, money does make the world go round. We
should make a distinction between the commercial and the art and try to
not step on their toes.

and Richard Sullivan wrote:
> ... How this would interface with the vast
> majority of folks who don't have gallery representation, I dunno.

I feel an organization (guild) would provide those without gallery
representation more exposure as well as those with. The focus would be
centered on authentic art, and not just what's popular. The internet is
a great tool for this. I feel most museum curators don't know most of
what's going on; not because of ignorance, but because of a lack of
availability of information.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/