Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:31:02 -0800

Subject: Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

>Garry Miller wrote:
>> ... Then let the public that wants to become 'enlightened' to this . ...
>
>And herein lies one of the biggest challenges. Just how are we to
>enlighten the public; they ain't goin' to git it on theys own. And
>further, the public is constantly mis-enlightened (new word, I guess) by
>the onslaught of fabrication from those con-artists.
>
>Richard Sullivan wrote:
>> ... I think the most viable organization would support the "professional"
or
>> "semi-professional" fine arts photographer. An organization like this
would
>> probably be at odds with most amateur concerns. ...
>
>But I was thinking that this organization (guild, if you want) would
>really be at odds with the established professionals. As they already
>work the system, they might feel threatened by the promotion of a set of
>standards or ethics. Yes, money does make the world go round. We
>should make a distinction between the commercial and the art and try to
>not step on their toes.
>
>and Richard Sullivan wrote:
>> ... How this would interface with the vast
>> majority of folks who don't have gallery representation, I dunno.
>
>I feel an organization (guild) would provide those without gallery
>representation more exposure as well as those with. The focus would be
>centered on authentic art, and not just what's popular. The internet is
>a great tool for this. I feel most museum curators don't know most of
>what's going on; not because of ignorance, but because of a lack of
>availability of information.
>
>--
>Jeffrey D. Mathias
>http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/

Appropriate theme song:

This is the way we sign our prints, sign our prints, sign our prints.
This is the way we sign our prints, if you don't, so what, we do.

>From there, we let the galleries,museum cureators, editors and whomever know
there is a group of photo, printmakers who care about what their signature
represents and where it goes/comes back.

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA