Re: Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

DanPhoto@aol.com
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:00:43 -0500 (EST)

Richard Sullivan wrote:
>I am proud of the fact that I print my own images. I don't want to
>denigrate those who don't, but damn, I'd like a little respect for having
>printed my own.

Your pride of creation is shared by many Richard. There are so few
"rights and wrongs" in the arts, but if I didn't do my own printing, I'd
have to take up gardening or auto repair. It's a fundamental
characteristic for humans (this human anyway) to enjoy making things with
their hands.

The whole "hand of the artist" concept dictates the importance of the
signature. What value would an unsigned Adams print (complete with
authentication papers) have? Not much most likely. Many buyers are
tickled pink by the drop count notations that some platinum printers
include on the paper with their image. It's been said that you could
include your laundry list and it would excite the buyer! And for good
reason. It serves as additional evidence the artist was involved with the
creation of the final tangible product, not just the image on film. On a
lighter note, I think it might be fun for collectors to see that their
image was printed at 2AM!

Like you, I want to declare my hands-on process with the print without
suggesting those who do otherwise are swamp sludge. The stamp that I put
on the back of the mount includes the declaration "Printed by the
Artist," with space for another signature to compliment the one on the
print itself. (I've probably received more compliments on the stamp than
on the prints. Ha!) This should take care of the "who printed it"
ambiguity. I've just never been a big fan of lots of notations that show
when the print is displayed. Heck, I even sign with the hardest lead
pencil I can find so as to make for a light, almost embossed, look that
doesn't compete with the image itself. This is 180 degrees from the
approach Brett Weston took when he had a second WINDOW cut in the mat FOR
HIS SIGNATURE!

Just as most successful photographs leave room for the viewer to complete
the emotional story that is initiated by the image, it's nice to think
that the care and attention the artist gives the final print can help
enhance that voyage.

Dan