How to make ferric oxalate?

Nash Computer Technology (nashcom@btinternet.com)
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 18:04:49 +0000

I’m sure this topic will have been covered before, but I haven’t worked out
how to trawl through the archives yet.

I’m still using the Ziatype kit I purchased a few months ago. I’ve kept it
in a cool place in a light-tight case, but I believe that the ammonium
ferric oxalate (solution 1) is liable to go “off”.

As I am a low volume user, I’d rather not keep purchasing fresh solution
from the USA every few months. I’d like to be able to make up fresh
solutions myself when required.

As a non-chemist, I’m a bit confused about the various sections in “The New
Platinum Print”. Do I really need a sink faucet vacuum aspirator and vacuum
flask, buchner filter, and ph papers (I haven’t a clue what this equipment
is).

Basically, I’d appreciate some instructions on making Ziatype solution 1,
including what raw chemicals are needed.

As ever, thanks in advance.

David Nash