it's NOT "cyanide gas"...

garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:09:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sil,
 Thank you for the technical information on the workings of potassium
ferricynide. For me, you have established that the warnings about
cyanide gas are not accurate. It's not "cyanide gas". But is there
something other created that I should be warned-concerned about when
combining the processes, specifically coating Van Dyke brown over
cyanotype?

 Even the mistaken warnings that are published cause me to wonder what
prompted the warnings in the first place? Also I am perplexed by seeing
(a few, not many) prints that are made from the processes combined...
and the warnings not to combine remind me of having been a janitor in
younger days, I once mixed clorox bleach with ammonia, and that's is
not a experience I'd care to repeat with photo processes.

So - are there unseen reactions (dangers) caused when coating van dyke
over cyanotype, that should out weigh ones desires to do so?? (beyond
the skin contact, breathing dust, and such standard hazards)

I'm almost ready to do it!

garimo

P.S. My apprication to everyone who posted their comments, thanks!