Re: One Pass Negative Cleaner reports??

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 14:29:04 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Larry Watson wrote:
> What is a "static master" that Judy recommends. Is that one of those little
> bushes
> with the chip of plutonium or whatever underneath.

Yes, the chip is dated, good for a year. So if you order one or buy in
store be sure it's not nearly expired. Then theoretically you keep the
brush & handle & just replace the chip, which comes with its own stickum.
But because the chip is relatively low cost, it can be hard to get. I
think Porter's or other regular supplier will oblige.

That I know of, Static Master comes in 2 widths, for 35 mm & maybe 3" wide
(for proportionally higher price). But for home darkroom use -- and I have
the poster-child problem darkroom in location & hygiene -- I find it far
the best. I'll add that I don't do enough darkroom now to bother
replacing the out-of-date chip, but that nice non-static brush with a
little care gets almost as good results.

The secret for ANY dust removal, in my book, though, is examining the
negative through a loupe. Hold it up after "cleaning" against the ceiling
light & angle til you see the topography of the surface. Then you know,
not just if you got it all, but how good your water filtering system is.

I got pretty fanatic on the subject during the years of printing Sabatier,
because a blob was likely to get a black ring around it -- and try
spotting *that* out !

Judy