Re: Emulsion formulas and fabrication

Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:30:16 -0700

>>Having emulsion formulas isn't really all that useful, other than as a
>>basis of comparison of what is in various types of emulsions and the ways
>>of "constructing" some of them--in other words, as a learning experience
>>and as a starting point only. Emulsion formulas are a whole lot like cake
>>recipes: what works for one person under one set of parameters (altitude,
>>oven temperature, type of flour, moisture content of ingredients, quality
>>of shortening, expertise of the cook, etc) is a disaster for someone
else.

What are you talking about? A formula is a formula. But a procedure is
also required. I have a formula/procedure for the manufacture of Matrix
film, all materials are listed as are the specific steps required to create
the emulsion and cost it. Follow it and it will work, if you do everything
correctly.

What is impossible for 99.999% of the people on this list would be the
creation of a color film that exhibits any quality. Simple black and white
formulas are simple, though.

As for the Cooking analogy, I am not a cook, but I can read a cookbook, and
there are no secrets. Do what it says and there should never be a problem.

RM