Re: Emulsion formulas

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 22:23:26 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Charles Steinmetz wrote:
> Following some unwarranted sniping at Rae, let me confirm that there are a
> zillion variables that WILL foil anyone's chances of simply following an
> emulsion recipe and getting the same result as the author. To name four
> very quickly:

I'm glad you mention that Charles. I myself was quite disturbed by the
instant contempt-hostility on Maxie's part. He turned what could/should
have been a fascinating discussion into instant confrontation. It's not so
much the facts (if no one can be wrong on this list, the bandwidth problem
is solved) it's the manner -- he was RUDE ! I thought we were going to
be CIVIL from now on ??? Or was that some other list?

> (1) Gelatin. All gelatins are different, and will react differently both
> physically and chemically with the forming halide crystals.

I'm also glad you mention gelatin (and spell it right!). I found my source
(and lost it again, natch) about what the cows have eaten -- a mustard
plant -- having a big effect on the gelatin. But I think it was Sil who
told me that's a thing of the past, now they *rationalize* or regularize,
or whatever, the gelatin with.... what was it? Gloy?

I'll also mention that MY gelatin hasn't been doing so well. Are you
there, Sandy? So I had a a litre of 3% gelatin (Knox) left over, and put
your thymol mix in it (sure stank up a storm -- sort of like an old ash
tray). And left it standing with just a magazine over the top. After about
a week it had a layer of water on it. Now two weeks after that, it's got
about an inch and a half of water across the surface and the gelatin
itself looks ... turgid. Doubt I'll dare use it.... But it still smells
like ash tray.... doesn't have that fetid odor bad gelatin gets.

What do you suppose I did wrong? This was sitting, BTW, near the
humidifier. Could that have affected it (even tho loosely covered)?
(Talk about variables !)

> Charles (preparing for the time when silver-gelatin is alt)

Charles, have you tried gum printing? You'll never look back...

If worst comes to worst you can just go out in the yard and dig your own
pigment. And gelatin is used in so many commercial processes we'll always
get some kind or other...

Judy