Re: water distillation units

William Laven (wmlaven@platinotype.com)
Wed, 03 Mar 1999 10:59:31 -0800 (PST)

>Carl Weese wrote:
>>
>> OK all you alt. process folks concerned about purity and consistency of
>> your secret magic potions--any recomendations for an affordable
>> low-capacity water distillation unit?
>
>The Sears & Roebuck near me has one on the shelf for about $150 USD.
>It's next to the filters and softeners.

rec.photo.darkroom has for the last week or so had several interesting
threads re: PMK, Ph, presoaks, stain depth, etc etc discussing the pros and
cons of distilled water, tap water, filtered water, etc.

One of the things remakrred upon, as you'd expect, is that some people
enjoy pretty damned good tap water and others don't. There are some tap
waters more alkaline than distilled wtaer, some more acidic.

There might be some useful info there re:distilled water -- nothing on
distillers to purchase per se, but much on its use. Another thing that has
come from the thread of interest to Pyromaniacs (that's their nickname
there, complete with a DejaNews group dedicated to pyro) is the importance
of alkaline fixers.

Anyway, its a source of much info and perhaps a post there re:distillers to
buy may get good results. Have you checked Graingers?

                           WILLIAM LAVEN PHOTOGRAPHY

   Workshops and tutorials in Platinum/Palladium printing and Zone System.

   1931 23rd Street, San Francisco, CA, 94107
   415-647-9432 (voice) 415-647-9438 (fax)
   wmlaven@platinotype.com
   http://www.platinotype.com