shortish note on emulsions

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 03 Mar 1999 15:43:46 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Rae Adams wrote:

> fine work being carried out and disseminated in areas of alt processes
[cut out of modesty] .... I only wish that emulsion enthusiasts had a
> similar vehicle.... we have a tremendous body of industrial theory and
> research on which to draw and that could be applied for small-scale
> fabrications. Yet, without mentors and ready access to information, we
> "draw" slowly.

It occurs to me, Rae, that with "list" technology apparently much more
available and easily run now, it might be possible to start an emulsion
list ??!!

But besides and in addition to that, if it was considered useful and
someone wanted to provide it, I could run an Emulsion Insert in
Post-Factory. It's such a vast subject, and I'm only twice a year, it
might just be a drop in the bucket, but still perhaps useful as record and
outreach.

The way my operation is going, 48 pages is my max (oh may it be), but the
way the Post Office's operation is going, I pay postage for a few more
*standard* size pages (possibly 4, if they're thin). This coming issue I'm
planning a plain insert of a few announcements, but other options are
possible .... if you think this might be something to think about,
let's continue thinking offlist.

Aside from Kodak's decision to be "imagers," incidentally, is their less
publicized but ongoing buying of other companies & closing out products
(which I have a squibb on forthcoming). But, in case folks not planning to
set up a post-factory emulsion operation didn't read Rae's most
interesting message all the way, I repeat her comments on the Brown/Adams
matrix:

Maxey says:

> >Jim Browning's formula does work in the hands of a careful worker. Mr.
> >Browning spelled out the procedure, and from the copy I have, it's not too
> >difficult. He was very through in his explanation. I suggest you read the
> >information - it is all basic stuff and because it is not a multi-layer
> >material like color materials are, it is easily reproducible.

Adams replies:

> You want me to do what? Read Jim Browning's materials? Oh my. Oh dear.
> Actually Jim Browning's formula is called the Browning/Adams matrix film.
> I'm the Adams portion of that. So I'm aware it works. I spent a big chunk
> of my life working on that emulsion with Jim, and I'm not so senile that I
> don't remember it. I suggest that YOU go back and reread it. The name Rae
> Adams is not all that common for a woman. Surely you made the connection?

She also says:

> I hope that those people on the list who are interested in pursuing the
> study of emulsions will persist in spite of the difficulties. As far as
> what is and is not possible, I am ever amazed at the ingenuity (and
> persistence) of artists.

Yes, inspiring, in fact. The opposite of inspiring is use of knowledge,
not to share, but as a weapon of destruction. Obviously Maxey knows a
great deal, but, well, maybe I'm just particularly galled by this last
act, but I don't recall his sharing it except to put someone down. I
realize I'm not everyone (or there would be no dogs the size of
Volkswagons & no television except if a member of my family is on it) but
for me that kind of "information" is tainted...

Meanwhile, it occurs to me to ask, Rae: Have you had any experience with
the current emulsions-out-of-a-bottle? Liquid Light, Silver Gelatin
Emulsion, and Cachet (that I know of, maybe others?) If so, any advice
there? How about on acetate for "film"?

cheers,

Judy