Re: Coating

Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 13:50:33 -0700

>>> I think the idea of using a variable-speed driller to make a homemade
coating
> machine is interesting. I am curious about whether spin coating works
only
> with thicker emulsion like carbon tissue or whether it will also work
with
> thin emulsion like gum.

Despite contrary opinions, spin coating can work well. My father used this
method years ago when he made albumen emulsion plates working in the
Blueprint business. The problem is that it is difficult to coat large
surfaces and to control thickness. Make sure you test all the variables.
You might also consider buying a motor and mounting it in a plastic or
metal tub. That way you can add a lid or ideally, a clear Plexiglas cover.

I also know someone who coats ceramics using this simple method.

RM