Re: john waters movie "Pecker"

Charles Steinmetz (csteinmetz@redneck.efga.org)
Sat, 06 Mar 1999 19:45:13 +0000

> Perhaps some folks involved with alt photography like to talk a bit about
> inspiration as well as perspiration? Is this only a nuts-and-bolts list?

But "inspiration" is much more general than alt (more general than photo,
even), and there are many more appropriate places to discuss it than here
-- the various photo theory outlets, in particular. To return to a theme I
sounded recently: the strength of this list is its focus. If we lose that,
it's just another list for people interested in images/imaging in general,
and we will lose the expertise of those who really know their alt but have
no patience for wading through non-alt (or tangentially alt) topics.

Whether inspiration "is" or "isn't" alt is not the issue, in my mind.
The fact is that many users of and valuable contributors to this list
consider tangential topics out of place, and will respond to efforts to
assert a broader definition of what is alt-appropriate by leaving the
list. We are much better off exercising restraint and respecting the
focus of the list than fighting for turf and destroying it, particularly
when there are other outlets that cater precisely to the topic.

Best Regards,

Charles