Re: hate mail

jewelia (jewelia@erols.com)
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 20:44:46 -0800

sorry for the confusion but you will notice i believe the RM signature at the bottom of the letter unless i goofed copying the letter -- and you will notice Robert Maxey's anxious response to my forwarding it back into the list

i considered my options and i had two:

to do nothing or to send it in to the list to expose this -- the latter is how i have been trained by professionals --its part of our "sort of required learning" to cope in a society that isn't all accepting -- we learn never to be alone -- to stay in public view. if i had done nothing and left it between him and me as some anxious souls would suggest i should -- then i would be subjected to a never ending stream of this sort of thing. so i apologize for having to bring this upon everyone and making you share in a part of my life -- frankly this had little to do with my recommendation that some persons on the list might want to see a certain movie -- the sort of negative responses are hardly warranted if you just think its nonsense.

i am here because alternative photography is my chosen community. i see a lot of opportunity to advance the language of alternative photography, including platinum prints and will remind everyone (not my favorite reference but i will refer you to where alternative photography sort of began and how William Crawford introduced alternative photography in Keepers of Light as a syntax--at the time he left it mostly to the recipes --was a big thing to go that far then but i doubt he understood that as the extent of syntax. Part of the developing syntax of alternative photography is just my presence in this community.

part of my strength comes from the fact that i know there are others... and i would suppose that we can just learn from this and move on to a more open discussion from now on -- it is at least a hope. frankly i don't want to see anyone kicked out. i like to believe that we can learn from images placed in front of us -- however, i think some small changes are due and i would ask that no one be told where to go except for perhaps by a list minder and i doubt that it will rarely be necessary myself once people understand that name calling and badgering is not acceptable -- so that is just my request -- i do not need robert maxey's head in my lap, i just need a small part of this community to relate to and have the sort of discussions that i and they find interesting to and it is not that i am negative on technique -- i just need my work to be a little more and i know i am not the only one -- most of us come to art and especially to alternative photography in search of something more than that in the first place.

sincerely and warm regards

jewelia margueritta cameroon