Re: Iron Blue toner?

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 08 Mar 1999 15:16:32 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Richard Knoppow wrote:
> I don't know which formula the Formulary uses, there are several
> variations of it.
> Kodak publishes two versions, T-11 for film and T-12 for paper. FWIW here
> are a couple of formulas. These are not alt but are perhaps of some interest.
> Kodak Iron Toner T-12

Certainly, they're "alt." You wouldn't call them f/64, would you?

But here's a much easier way, as I have said many times when folks clearly
weren't listening -- assuming you already have cyanotype emulsion mixed,
which any right-thinking person does.... And even if you don't, really.

This one works as well if not better than the more complicated formulas
(which fell into disuse for obvious reasons) and no strange chemicals,
scary acids, to buy and mix:

Take 10 cc of solution A (the fe am citrate) & 10 of solution B (the
pots. ferricyanide), mix with 20 ounces (500-600 cc) water and add 70
cc of 28% acetic acid. There's plenty of latitude in dilution, strength,
etc, but that's a start.

And if you don't have ferric ammonium citrate, you can buy half a pound
for the cost of one toning *kit.*

cheers,

Judy