Re: Toning cyanotypes

Gilbert van Reenen (clean.green.images@clear.net.nz)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 09:02:55 +1300

I have had success toning cyanotype with Gallic acid which also comes in
powdered form and is of low solubility.
The formulas I saw in a reference appeared to be extremely empirical so
treated them accordingly
the cyanotype needs to be soaked in a weak alkali first sodium carbonate or
ammonia solution then rinsed then soaked in approx 1% solution of the gallic
acid.
The results vary considerably with the initial exposure state of the print
and the type of paper on which it is printed.
On good strong cotton paper the effect is a very warm dark brown
Cellulose based papers tend to stain more
A number of other organic acids are likely to be useful for this process.
I am about to experiment with caproic acid

Gilbert van Reenen

Clean Green Images
Ballantyne Road, RD 2
WANAKA New Zealand