Reciprocity and contrast control???

Liam Lawless (lawless@vignette.freeserve.co.uk)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 02:40:39 +0000

Hi Folks,

The other day Tom Ferguson raised an interesting point about reciprocity on
APH, which could have possibilities. I have not noticed the phenomenon
myself and I have not studied reciprocity, so I wonder if anyone could
enlighten me as to whether reciprocity is purely a function of time, or also
of intensity? What I'm thinking - obviously - is that IF reciprocity
failure occurs in the shadows (where the intensity of the exposing light is
greatest) before the highlights, it could be a useful contrast control... if
it proved to be sufficiently controllable.

Film data sheets, as far as I remember, give it as a function of time only,
but maybe that's just to keep things simple. Does the relation of tones to
each other change as reciprocity occurs, or does everything just get
lighter? Any info will be welcome, particularly if it's what I want to
hear! (But it also has to be true!)

Thanks,

Liam