Re: Reciprocity and contrast control???

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 00:31:11 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Liam Lawless wrote:

Reciprocity failure....

> Film data sheets, as far as I remember, give it
as a function of time only,
> but maybe that's just to keep things simple. Does the relation of tones to
> each other change as reciprocity occurs, or does everything just get
> lighter? Any info will be welcome, particularly if it's what I want to
> hear! (But it also has to be true!)

True, you want true ! Nothing is true, this is the age of relativity. But
your question reminds me of reading about the something Effects, and there
were a bunch, like intermittency effect. You make brief exposures at
various intervals, changes density (tho contrast I don't recall). I tried
that, BTW, no effect -- on the film I was using.

I also tried latensification. Did NOT work on lith. Fogging on lith film
nada, too -- I mean it fogged, but didn't change contrast in pos to neg.

Didn't think of long, low exposure, suspect my equipment wasn't tightly
enough controlled -- no voltage meter. But one thing I did find REALLY
changed contrast (is that what we're talking about Liam?) was the glycin
developer. Old, brown glycin in one day's tests was amazing. Never got
back to it, though, and maybe Dave could prove it was a chimera...

cheers,

Judy