Re: Experience with the Argyrotype?

Adam Kimball (akimball@finebrand.com)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 13:41:41 -0800

Great, the comments are rolling in. Much thanks - and keep them coming. However, I'd
like to address one issue now. A number of people have written me offlist with comments
similar to Dave's. I have done a lot of Pt/Pd printing, and have even managed to get
great deals on my precious metal salts- however, I really think it is unfair to suppose
that Pt/Pd/Zia are as cheap as Argyrotypes. Taken from the Bostick & Sullivan website:

All in 100ml Kit:

Argyrotype: $28.70
Ziatype Kit (Lithium): $167.70
Ziatype Kit (Cesium): $184.00
Classic Palladium (25ml $70.17): $140.00

Granted the Argyrotype doesn't include the Hypo, but we can say $5.00 worth will provide
plenty if bought in quantity (say, Bryant Lab).

So, what gives? It looks to me like Pt/Pd/Zia is going to cost about 5x more. And when
you are considering 16x20 and beyond- this does get costly.

-Adam