Re: Experience with the Argyrotype?

Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 20:24:36 -0700

Adam,

I sent you a e-mail off the list by accident. I worked with Argyro's for
about a year. They are really simple and turn out very lovely results. For
me, I found that a negative developed to around 1.8 - 2.0 yeilded the best
results. As stated by someone else, argy's are a modern version of the
kallitype. You can alter the color of the print, depending on what paper
you use, with toning. A neutral print color can be had with very dilute
selenium.

I used a heavy (300 lb) Cottmans water color paper (cold press) and still
help very delicate detail in the shadow and highlight areas. The only
reason that I stopped using the argy's was because my project was finished
and it was time to find a new playmate.

Joe Portale

At 01:41 PM 3/9/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Great, the comments are rolling in. Much thanks - and keep them coming.
However, I'd like to address one issue now. A number of people have written
me offlist with comments similar to Dave's. I have done a lot of Pt/Pd
printing, and have even managed to get
>great deals on my precious metal salts- however, I really think it is
unfair to suppose that Pt/Pd/Zia are as cheap as Argyrotypes. Taken from
the Bostick & Sullivan website: