Re: Experience with the Argotype?

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:04 +0000 (GMT)

> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Dave wrote:
> > However, if you are going to go to the trouble and expense of making
> > large
> > negatives, then why not do a Ziatype? Zia isn't any more expensive
> > than argyrotype
> > and the tonal range is much better. Plus the contrast is easily
> > controlled with
>
> Ooops, I guess I do know something else. Mix your own argyro (silver
> oxide
> from Artcraft) for less than a quarter of the cost. The formula is on
> Mike Ware's web page.
>
> And for the really chemically enabled, make your own silver oxide for
> even
> less. I was actually poised to do so (mixing up sodium hydroxide with
> silver nitrate and right thinking, as I recall) when, um life
> intervened...
>
> Judy

After right thinking it's best to filter and wash, but that's the way we
did it here without problems. Pretty sure this is in the archives, which
are a lot easier to search than my old notebooks. Pretty trivial to work
out anyway, but I have to rush to work now.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/