Credibility and Effectiveness

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:05:33 -0500

This Alternative Photography Process List certainly provides a benefit
to those who subscribe. It also has grand potential to benefit
alt-photography. I have given some thought as to maximizing these
benefits. The following are some suggestions to help make this
Alt-Photo Process List (APPL) more effective.

1) Only post comments and information to the APPL that are germane and
pertinent to alternative photography. We should always keep in mind
that what we post may be used as an indicator of our ability and
credibility. Other information and comments can be channeled privately
or to another list.

2) Only post information from first hand knowledge. If one knows of
someone else's efforts, a reference should be given with a method of
contacting that person. Under no circumstances should here-say
information be disseminated without a link to the source. It is most
valuable to only post what one knows from their own experience. One
should never give a description of a process, formula, or technique
without having actually done it themselves. One should never make a
claim that they have not personally evaluated. Do keep in mind that the
credibility of each of us will be determined by what we post. If one
just has to say something without first hand knowledge, then only give a
reference to someone who does have that knowledge; otherwise post
privately or to another list.

3) When posting information, supply enough information that one can
understand and be able to pursue in an efficient manner the process or
technique. Supply formulas, instructions, or a link to these. Don't
just reference a book or periodical without quoting the vital
information. (Of course, give full credit when quoting.) If the
information is valuable enough to post, it should be rather efficient
for the receiver to obtain it. If there is some kind of secret
involved, don't post to the APPL. This list would be useless without
the ability to learn and gather information on the alt-photo processes.

4) One should keep in mind that any post they make to the APPL should in
some way enrich and assist the work of another. Babbling, self absorbed
dribbling, me toos, pontificating, private messages, and the like should
be channeled privately or to another list. It is extremely unwise to
clutter the list and archives. We should constantly look at the APPL
and the archives and ask ourselves the question: how easy is it to find
the answer? (Especially, how easy would it be for someone new to the
list or new to alt-photo?) And we must constantly ask the question: how
will this post enhance and enrich the APPL and alt-photography?

As a closing reminder: we (alt-photographers) can and will be judged by
the rest of the world via the list archives. Try a search of your name
sometime and find out what words of wit are out on the net. Closer to
home, we will (and are) each be viewed by our peers as to how we utilize
this list. But beyond that, I would like my posts to have a chance of
enlightening others.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/