Re: Making silver nitrate was Argyrotype chemistry

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:58:35 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Kevin O'Brien wrote:

> >Silver nitrate is not easy to make. The formula is pretty simple but you
> >are dealing with a fast oxidizing reaction that can easily get our of
> >control. It also produces a mixture of nitric gasses which are deadly in

Actually I have it on some excellent authority that all you have to do is
leave the silver in a pot with some hydrochloric acid for a few weeks and
*voila!* Tho I wouldn't make that a metal pot.

I also suggest that whoever smokes, drives a Harley, or takes more than
30% of their daily calories in fat grams has no place on this list.

Judy