Re: Crane's paper for Pt/Pd (fwd)

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 07:47:04 -0500

Stuart Goldstein wrote:
> ... My classmate and I are just getting into Pt/Pd printing and I bought some
> paper directly from Cranes. I bought crest natural white wove 90# cover stock
> because they told me that they don't sell a paper called Platinotype but I was
> assured by one of Crane's reps that this is what Dick Arentz uses....

Stuart et all,
The paper sold to me (500 full size sheets) by Bostic & Sullivan which
was from the batch optimized by Dick Arentz had this label:

Crane's Parchment Business Card Stock
100% Rag/Extra No. 1 Quality
Crane & Co., Inc., Dalton MA 01226
WHITE WOVE
23 X 29
LOT NO. 5302
SUB 67
100 SHEETS
GRAIN LONG

This is a different paper from the "Crest" line.
The "Crest" line is one of their stationary papers with matching
envelopes and cover sheets (what I presume you got.)

Keith Schreiber wrote:
> ... It is indeed the same
> as Cranes Crest Natural White Wove 90# Cover. The same paper is also
> available as Cranes Artificial Parchment from New York Central Art Supply. I
> have here some of each of those as well as a small (8.5 x 11) ream in Cranes
> original packaging complete with label. ...

Keith, I do not understand this discrepancy in the name of the paper.
Maybe Dick Arentz can clarify. Perhaps B&S mixed things up. (Well
Richard?) The Parchment Business Card Stock I have works fine and is
one of the better papers for Pt/Pd, in my opinion.

As Keith suggests, the Kid Finish stationary paper is also a good
choice; although I believe the the name has recently been changed so I
would add caution when ordering (The package I recently saw said
"formerly Kid Finish"). Another Crane's papers worth trying is "Distaff
Linen".

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/