Re: Crane's paper for Pt/Pd (fwd)

David Michael Kennedy (david@davidmichaelkennedy.com)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 08:04:41 -0700

Rising Bristol two ply plate..........
Don't know if you want to go there! I've been using it for over 5 years and
it is very problematic, but it is the only paper I can get the brown tones I
want so I'm stuck with it. A few tips:
1. to get maximum warmth from the paper clear in 2 hyd. acid (30-60 mls acid
to 1 gallon water) but then the paper may turn pinkish due to the acid
baths so....
2. third clearing bath sodium sulfite and edta about 6 tablespoons of each
to 1 gallon water for 5 to 15 mins
3. when you pick paper to coat look through the paper using a VERY bright
light and check for any dark spots inside the paper. most of the time these
"spots" will not be seen when you look at the paper by reflected light but
these spots will show as black spots in the print. We spent weeks trying to
figure out where they came from before we started viewing the paper this way
and the black spots in prints went away.
4. this is a two ply paper and will come apart and or get bubbles in the
paper with hot developer or long clearing and washing times. we have found
that after washing the paper we place it on plexiglass to drain for 5 mins.
then put the print between two pieces of paper and squeegee with a printers
roller. This will restick the paper together and also "push" any bubbles
out.

All in all I love the papers' final look and for warm prints I can't fine
anything better, but it is hateful paper to use, inconstancy from sheet to
sheet (for our use) and Rising will tell you it is not designed for and they
do not recommend it for Pt/PL printing so don't look for help from them.
David