Re: Crane's paper for Pt/Pd (fwd)

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:14:07 -0500

David,

Interesting. My tests have been mainly with Zia. Rising Bristol prints
"warmer" straight LiPd Zia's than anything else I've tried. I haven't
run into the trouble you mention yet but it's worth noting that with Zia
instead of using a heated developer, the printed-out sheet is simply
rinsed in 70-80 degree water and then cleared. This paper doesn't clear
quite as much in the initial water bath as most others, but visually it
clears fast when transferred to a rather mild EDTA/Sulfite bath. I
haven't seen any separation or bubbling problems, but this approach
doesn't use any "hot" fluid and has a total wet time of only about 45
minutes. I do notice that the print color "cools off" a lot as the print
dries. Your acid clearing bath corrects this, maybe?

I'll try one of the warmer Ziatype formulations (I'll expect it to give
a more dramatically warm result than usual) and see how clearing goes.
Generally, warm Zia's are harder to clear than more neutral ones, though
with most papers I've tried any Zia clears more easily than a standard
develop-out print. I think that using the "exotic" lithium ferric
oxalate component may get something at least similar to your trademark
red/brown print color. I'll try a couple develop-outs too and see what
happens.

On the black specs, either I just haven't made enough prints with it to
hit the problem, or I was lucky with my little test order of paper.

Thanks for all the input.

---Carl