Re: sunlite

Peter Mikalajunas (kd9fb@xnet.com)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 22:38:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:53:37 -0500, Sil Horwitz <silh@iag.net> wrote:

>At 99/03/13 07:48 AM -0800, David DiStefano wrote:
>>My green house doesn't use glass. I built it with the same plastic they
>>use in commercial greenhouses. Will this cut out some of the UV light

>Normal Mylar will not transmit UV. (You can check the actual wavelengths on the
>Mylar web pages. Other plastics transmit most wavelengths OK, but you can check
>the actual range on their web pages, also. Not knowing the plastic in your
>greenhouse, can't furnish any other info!

Dupont manufactures mylar under 2 divisions, packaging and film products. The
product has different characteristics depending on the thickness and applied
coatings.

In general, however...
http://www.dupont.com/packaging/products/films/H-36042-1.html

"Ordinary window glass cuts off nearly all UV wavelengths below .35 microns.
(The therapeutic wavelengths of sunlight on the human body are from 0.307 down
to 0.297 microns.)"

"The transmission characteristics of 0.5 mil MylarŪ films are very similar to
window glass through the visible range, and with nearly zero transmission below
0.314 microns in the UV range."

For the general product specs..
http://www.dupont.com/polyester/products/mylar/datashts.html

For the optical properties sheet..