Re: VanDyke on alt surfaces (and hello, again)

Risa Simone Horowitz (rsh662ta@artslab.usask.ca)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:27:38 -0600

Thank you Dick and Sil,
        Tonite, I will attempt vandykes on fully-cured, acrylic medium coated
plaster. I will also attempt a trial using spray starch. I will avoid
gelatin, or any sizing which needs to be preserved.

        Also, the plaster did sizzle away, by the sounds of it, but my perception
was that the sound was air being released by all the air pockets in the
plaster.

        I am not using plaster of paris, but a product called Hydrocal, which is a
much stronger plaster, and which, by the books, is less affected by moisture
than plaster of paris. My understanding is that this plaster does contain
lime.

        RE: giving the plaster an acid bath: although you may have been
half-kidding, Dick, did you mean to treat the plaster with an acid bath
prior to even coating it with my van dyke solution?

        Thank you for the suggestions. I will update.

Cheers
Risa Horowitz