Re: uneven staining

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:25:30 -0700

Dan,

You are not alone in this. I just got a couple of negs sent to me by Klaus
Schnitzer with a clear line running down the width of the print. Developed
in a Jobo 8x10 drum in pyro. The puzzle is the line which is obviously the
seam in the drum is clear. The seam is on the back side of the film. The
puzzle is it would seem logical that the seam should be darker and stained.

Klaus was going to contact Jobo on it and get back to me.

I use a Bessler roller and have a devil of a time getting the anti-halation
layer off, even if I load wet.

--Dick Sullivan

At 08:41 AM 3/16/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Sandy, Hi I have been using abs tubes and BTZS tubes for quite a few yrs.
>I have not had the problem with stain except when I experimented with the
>jobo 8x10 print tube. the problem seemed to be the channel that is formed
>where the tube comes together.This created a pyro stain on the back of the
>film. I tried to line the tube with a sheet of xray film, it didnt help, so
>I only use the jobo with D 76, and pyro with abs pipes.
>the one thing I do which may help with tube development is I do not shake
>the tubes but merely lay them in the water bath and spin them. I have used
>abs tubes since Phil Davis wrote the article in (I think) Darkroom
>Techniques. I was only to happy to try something after tray development or
>combie tanks. dan
>Dan Koons
>E-Mail: dkoons@pld.com

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857