Re: Uneven staining of film with rotary processing

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:18:55 -0400

William Laven wrote:

>Very curios. My simultaneous post re: Jobos is to find a liner for the
>print drums because, contrary to what Jobo says, there are problems with
>the ridges blocking the solution from the base side of the film because the
>ridges behave like little dams. Dammit. Perhaps I should do a longer
>presoak or try the m,ethod of soaking, peeling film away from the drum and
>continuing, but I see that as a real hassle.
>
>Bill

Bill,

This agrees completely with my experience. Some large sheet films (11X14
and 12X20) I processed in PMK in drums with ribs show very clear marks
from staining (or lack thereof) on the exact line where film touches the
ribs. However, a 2-3 minute pre-soak in a slightly alkaline solution will
usually eliminate this particular problem. As a matter of fact, for all
rotary processing in tubes, be it Jobo, ABS home-made plastic, or the old
ribbed print developing tubes, I strongly recommend pre-soaking the film.

All in all I am much inclined to agree with Carl Weese that the most
practical way to process really large sheet film is in the tray. Only
thing, I hate to work in the dark so I am working now on some type of
baffled tray that will allow me keep the light on in the darkroom during
most of the actual development.

Sandy King