Re: writing descriptions

Wayne Simpkins (hsimpkns@admin2.memphis.edu)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 07:46:38 -0600

garimo asks,

> If you were to view a image on a web site...(I'm working on mine) and
> the image such as the cyanotype that I put up at >
> http://upnatom.com/cyanotypes.html < Would you expect the description
> of the image size to include the brush strokes on the edges or just the
> size of the negative used?? What other information would you want to

garimo,

If I see a web image and image size dimensions, I assume the area depicted
by the web image shows the real world space of the dimensions listed unless
there is a note indicating otherwise. In other words, I assume what I see
inside the web image border is the image size listed whether the web image
includes the entire object or a detail. However, once again, from this
discussion we learn the obvious isn't obvious in the same way to everybody.
Perhaps a footnote is advisable. If you list film size, the information
could be confusing unless you note "film size" or "negative size." Suppose
you put a blue line around the thumbnails. The image size note might say,
"Includes area within the blue rectangle."

What information? I want to know how big the actual print may be, who did
it, when, what type of print as a minimum.

Wayne

--
Wayne Simpkins
Univ of Memphis, Dept of Art