the "catalog," the "repro" & the hyphen

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 02:21:06 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Don Bryant wrote:

> Oh, BTW I just got the PF catalog for summer courses and was quite impressed
> with your bio. Why in the world don't you do a book on gum Judy?

Dear Georgia Boy,

Your praise is gonna be my ruination -- there'll be no living with me for
weeks and weeks.

For the record, I did once plan a book on gum, until I realized a
*periodical* would be more fun, besides letting in all "the speculation,
amplification, correction and feedback evolving art-and-science require"
(P-F Issue #1). I've had thoughts of eventually combining the Annals of
Gum Control into a "book" but... I've had other thoughts, too.

> also I was
> tantalized by the crummy repos in the cat. of two of your prints. A book
> with your prints would be quite interesting.

Oh Georgia, you sure know how to sweet talk a girl... I am so glad you
realized those *were* crummy repros. The catalog was (I thought) otherwise
excellent. My only explanation is that the big-sky printer who did it
could NOT deal with photographs of New York City & just thought s/he had
to lay a veil of smog over everything.

The print on the bottom, "Young Man With Horn, Central Park", was in fact
taken in Central Park - you can see the Sherry Netherland or whatever they
call it now through the trees. It is, also, a ONE-COAT gum on Buxton.

I swear, if I could get a steady supply of that paper I wouldn't do
anything else. (That's the one Mike Ware brain-stormed for platinum. Don't
know how it is for platinum, but it's like NOTHING ELSE for gum -- one
coat gum, that is. After that you'd have to resize, it loses the pizazz,
and/or the surface starts to fuzz up.)

The original print, by the way, is dark green. Mix of indigo, yellow and
maybe burnt sienna.

>I know you bridle at the
> thought of placing facsimiles of your work on the web but at least it would
> expose your regal prowess as our gum diva.

But Boy, would you want to see the *originals* then? You might think you
knew what the prints looked like & lose all interest !

"The Catalog," by the way, for those somewhat mystified, is the
Photographer's Formulary Catalog for its summer workshops in, what is that
state? Someone help me... Montana? I think that's it, west of the Hudson,
I know. I'm told it's "very pretty," tho sadly deficient in concrete.

That's the "PF" of Georgia's note, or one of them. Then there's "P-F" with
the all-important hyphen, meaning Post-Factory, of which Issue #3 is in
production, now being eaten alive by William Mortensen -- don't ask! (All
time forecasts on hold !)

Finally, we have yet another PF: Peter Fredrick, also of this list. But he
has announced that HIS workshops in Spain are already filled, so forget it
for this year (unless there's a waiting list?).

You can get the Photographer's Formulary Summer 1999 Workshop catalog by
phone 800/922-5255, or fax 406/754-2896 or www.photoformulary.com. Or
e-mail me OFFLIST and I'll send you schedule.

> Yours respectfully - your ever faithful Georgia Boy,
>
> Don Bryant

Your now-ever-devoted slave and gummist,

Judy