Re: Film Development tubes and Negative Streaking

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 07:02:21 -0800

Snip --
> After the film is loaded I invert the tube thus releasing the
>developer from the cap below and shake vigorously for 20 to 30 seconds.
>Thus the agitation for the first 30 seconds is not rotary but random and
>chaotic.

Snip --

This seems to me as the problem. Shking like that creates an oxidized
developer; and the whole reason for using distilled water is to use water
with as little oxygen because the developer oxidizes and becomes a
suspension of unuseable chemicals.

You create a 'mottled' chemistry with some chemicals in suspension, active
chemicals that don't do what they're meant to be doing.

Streaks is an example of oxidized chemistry.

Never shake like a coctail. Agitation is a gentle motion for film
developing.

Steve S.