Re: about exotic ferric oxalte and ziatype

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:27:17 -0700

Nze,

Just a little hint. After you've added all the ingredients to make the
exotic FO, if the solution is not a clear clean color, and is dirty or
muddy in appearance, keep adding some oxalic acid until it clears up to a
bright color. The smallest excess of the carbonate can cause muddiness. I
think carbonates can have some excess moisture or be a drier than the last
batch and cause your weighing to be off a little. It's like cake flour, you
have to adjust for the moisture.

--Dick

At 01:57 PM 3/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Texte du message écrit par INTERNET:alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
>>I'm all ears Nze! -- (idiomatic English meaning I want to hear all about
>it.) Please keep good notes and report back. It sounds interesting.
>
>Cesium ferric oxalate sounds neat. I've got formulas for making lithium
>ferric oxalate and sodium ferric oxalate from ferric oxalate in The New
>Platinum Print. I think Wares method of using Ferric nitrate leaves you
>with some excess nitric acid which acts like chlorate of dichromate, so I
>don't recommend that route.
>
>Lithium adds a hint of brown, in fact impossible to get a neutral black
>with it like you can with the ammonium. Sodium is also warmer in tone but
>seems to boost contrast. Carl and I did some rudimentary exploration of the
>
>exotic FO's but that's about it.
><
>
>hello dick,
>thanks for your comment and to make me avoid wrong way .
>
>I use your formula to make these two salt and to print with it .
>Before you talk about them I'm looking for new additive (as sodium
>tungsten) ,but when I receive your book (new platinum print) I think it
>could be interresting to find new color and contrast controlling way as you
>do with lithium ferric oxalate and sodium.
>
>As I understand I should find hygroscopic salt to help the printing out
>effect I think of caesium salt ,
>and as it's easy to make potassium ferric oxalate (I will make a try),look
>to tin as it is near Pb in the periodic table .
>
>I will what are the result as soon as I make the test.
>
>regards
>
>nze christian (france)
>.

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857