Re: Colour Calotype

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:09:50 -0400

I have not seen Catany's prints in Paris and don't have any specific
information as to how they were made. However, years ago I visited him in
Barcelona and at that time he showed me some prints that he called
"calotypes". They were in fact silver gelatin prints made by contact from
large-format in-camera paper negatives. If his use now of the word
"calotype" is consistent with past use the prints in Paris could have been
made from paper color print materials exposed in a large format camera. I
would add that Catany has also exhibited in the past color Fresson
photographs.

Sandy King