Re : Verse Awl

Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:20:48 -0800

Dear Group
A problem.
I have been using a cine-reversal process for over a year (but not since
last summer) to obtain b/w slides w/infra-red Kodak film. It produces
lovely transparencies which can then be used to enlarge onto lith film for
use in cyanotypes, kallitypes, VDB's etc.

It is a way I introduce alt. possibilities to my students. This past
couple of weeks my "cool" method has failed!! I have waaaaay too much
fogging.

The 1st developer contains Metol, sulfite, hydroquinone, sod. carbonate,
pot. bromide and a wee bit of sodium thyocyanate.

You then rinse thoroughly.

Use a bleach made of Pot. Permanganate & sulfuric acid.

Wash/rinse again.

Clear w/a sod. suflite/water bath

Re-expose with room light

Re-develop in paper developer and fix as normal.

my problem is that both the dark and clear areas have silver densities. It
is as if the bleach did not work.

I've re-mixed ALL the chemicals three or four times now and the results
are the same. I am completely frustrated.

However, this morning, doing the process w/out the reversal w/light and
using only a sodium sulfIDE developer, I obtained good results.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this dilema.

Thanking you in advance.

Jack Fulton