Re: Kallitype

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:47 +0000 (GMT)

> It is my impression from extensive reading of the historical literature
> on Kallitype that the only manly way to make good Kallitypes was by
> using a formula that called for the silver nitrate to be in the
> developing solution.
>
> I have never tested this out personally and don't know of anyone who
> has made prints this way, at least living people. The idea of a print
> with it all in the emulsion is appealing and I think became the de
> facto method despite not being the best method.
>
> Just a thought for the experimentally inclined.
>
> --Dick Sullivan

Dick

I think I qualify as living, and not only have I made prints this way but
have published stuff on it - in The Alt Photo Review a couple of years
ago. (ask Keith Dugdale, Editor, The Alt Photo Review, TAPR@COMPUSERVE.COM
who is on the list for subscription details). I think the article
discussed the 'Satista' process.

I have also mentioned it on the list (so its in the archives) and sent
copies to quite a few people. Not that there was much if anything original
in it, as the methods were widely published as you say - often known as
the 'American Kallitype'. I think James Thomson was one of its best-know
proponents.

The prints I obtained were impossible visually to distinguish from Pt/Pd
prints. You may be interested to know that you can also make platinum
prints using the platinum in the developing solution.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/