Re: Kallitype

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:15:19 -0700

Peter,

Gads, I hope you are alive. This Internet stuff can get weird though.

I was probably subliminally picking up on stuff you had written in the past
as well. I have seen stunning Kallitypes and made some nice ones myself
over 20 years ago, Hmm close to 30 now that I add it up. One I made and
gave to a friend has been hanging in a sunny living room since c. 1970 and
the last time I saw it it was perfect except for some mottling around the
edges where the rubber cement used to mount it with had seeped out onto the
edge of print. (Hey that was my idea of archival back then!)

Ok, am I right. Is the Ag in the juice the manly way to go? Tell me, I can
take it, I've been wrong before.

--Dick

At 10:47 PM 3/22/99 +0000, you wrote:
>> It is my impression from extensive reading of the historical literature
>> on Kallitype that the only manly way to make good Kallitypes was by
>> using a formula that called for the silver nitrate to be in the
>> developing solution.
>>
>> I have never tested this out personally and don't know of anyone who
>> has made prints this way, at least living people. The idea of a print
>> with it all in the emulsion is appealing and I think became the de
>> facto method despite not being the best method.
>>
>> Just a thought for the experimentally inclined.
>>
>> --Dick Sullivan
>>
>Dick
>
>I think I qualify as living, and not only have I made prints this way but
>have published stuff on it - in The Alt Photo Review a couple of years
>ago. (ask Keith Dugdale, Editor, The Alt Photo Review, TAPR@COMPUSERVE.COM
>who is on the list for subscription details). I think the article
>discussed the 'Satista' process.
>
>I have also mentioned it on the list (so its in the archives) and sent
>copies to quite a few people. Not that there was much if anything original
>in it, as the methods were widely published as you say - often known as
>the 'American Kallitype'. I think James Thomson was one of its best-know
>proponents.
>
>The prints I obtained were impossible visually to distinguish from Pt/Pd
>prints. You may be interested to know that you can also make platinum
>prints using the platinum in the developing solution.
>
>Peter Marshall
>
>On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
>http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
>Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
>The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com