Re: Richard Henry's Controls in B&W Photography

Altview@aol.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:22:30 -0500 (EST)

It has always been my opinion that there are a lot of people who have the
perfect procedure that will not work for you. Those of us engaged in the
various forms of image making known as alternative processes know how
enormously variable each of the procedures are. What works for one person will
not work for the person across the street. As Richrad Sullivan so aptly puts
it, for everyone who swears such and such a procedure will not work, lo, there
stands someone with great work from that very same unworkable procedure. We
all come across many different points of view and endless variations of
photographic processes from colleagues, books, and electronic sources of
information. And hopefully we all learn from them. I know I have. But I have
also learned that one must, in the end, follow one's own path. Assimilating,
altering, and discarding those endless bits of information on the way. In the
end, it must always be your own interpretation of all of this data synthesized
into images of vision and beauty. At least that's the idea. Beware of anyone's
perfect methodolgy. It may only be perfect for them.

Patrcik Alt