Re: Richard Henry's Controls in B&W Photography

terryroth (terryroth@earthlink.net)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:52:49 -0800

Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com wrote:

> >>The downside: one can only develop 1 8x10 at a time, but the
> results are worth the effort--perfectly even tones, even to the
> densitometer.
>
> Have you considered using tray processing? It is easy to do multiple sheets
> with little problems.
>
> RM
***********************8

 yEA, verily, I have tried using the Ansel Adams shuffle, the Minor
White splat-n-slide, and no matter how careful I am, I always get
scratches on the negs---in the sky, natch, where they're most visible.
Part of the problem is that PMK is not very congenial to one's health,
making it necessary to use rubber gloves, which pretty much blow my
dexterity out the door. I used to tray develop with 2 back-to-back
sheets per tray, flipping them every few seconds, but still did not get
perfectly even tones ( I made a zone 5 exposure of a white card for
trials) but the
brush "agitation' (scraping??) is just the ticket. YMMV.