Re: Ziatype/Rising Bristol

Dan Donovan (fishy@mediaone.net)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:54:35 -0800

Adam Kimball wrote:

> Thanks for the updates Carl and David. Tonight I tried Whatman
> Watercolor using
> a pure palladium sensitizer (Ware-Malde formulation) and didn't have
> much luck.

Dear Adam-

I'm not sure if it will help, but when I print Ammonium Pd, I usually
add 3-5 drops of 3% gold chloride (per 8x10). Don't use the gold if
you're using Pt or Pt/Pd. Are you using Hot Pressed? It really has a
kind of raised surface, and I haven't had a lot of luck with it.

However, I have had good luck with Cranes cover 80lb, which was much
discussed just recently. Other favorites for the Ware/Malde process are
Platine and Wyndstone Vellum 5pt. I have also tried some Twinrocker
hand made paper, both "White All Purpose" and "White Cotton Rag".
When I print, I use a 50/50 mixture of Pt and Pd.

Best,
Dan Donovan