Re: Melissa virus

Michael Keller (keller@wvinter.net)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:45:47 -0500

Two items about the Melissa virus (btw, I laughed and yelled at my wife to come see when I got Alan's email with the doc attached, I was so proud to get
one!<g>):

1. You need to be using Outlook (not Outlook Express) to actually spread the virus. You can GET infected, but it requires Outlook to ship out the attached
files automagically

2. You need to be using Word 97 or 2000, and you need to have macros turned on.

CERT's advisory is at http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-04-Melissa-Macro-Virus.html

It pays -not- to be an all-Microsoft shop.