Re: Trials and Tribulations of the Digital Neg.

Garet Denise (garet@rmi.net)
Thu, 01 Apr 1999 06:46:45 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Fransman
>If you image your films at a lower than optimal resolution such as Dan's
>example for Lenswork and you really need all the graylevels, there's a
>workaround. Offset printers do it all the time: multiple printing. Many
>photographers apply split-printing in the darkroom but so few alt-people
>do it (apart from gumprinters). You could go for multiple exposure or
>even multiple coating and exposure.

snip

>Stochastic screens are nice compared to lowres screens (133-175) but
>nothing beats a really fine screen for resolution and smooth tone
>reproduction. You should also take into account the paper on which you're
>working - no need to go finer than the paper can show...
>
>One more remark: when using digital negs, don't use the optical
>lightbanks usually described in manuals. Only a point lightsource will do
>- preferably a vacuum one.

I'm very interested in buying an inkjet printer for making negatives for
gum printing, and have often wondered about the ability of multiple
printing (using different negatives) to smooth over the coarseness of a
negative. Anyone tried it? Also, is the comment about a point light
source directed at pt/pd printing only, or was this meant to apply to gum
printing and others as well? I've already invested in a multiple tube
light bank, and would rather not go through the hoops again.

Garet Denise
garet@rmi.net