Re: Trials and Tribulations of the Digital Neg

Carl Fransman (salto@salto.be)
Fri, 02 Apr 1999 20:37:41 +0100

Something should be taken into account. The reason for going digital
should not be one of experimenting but the quest for more possibilities
and/or quality.
All of you know that digital negs require quite a dramatic curve. This
curve will lower the number of graylevels in the output - I therefore
think one should not compromise on the number of graylevels achievable
and stick to the rule:
output resolution / 16 = screen ruling --- this will guarantee 256
graylevels.

The CT format (Scitex, Barco,...) guarantees smoother calculations when
applying curves and the number of raylevels is optimized but it won't
guarantee 256 graylevels in all situations. I don't really know why, but
output from CT-systems usually looks better.

Another possibility for getting digital negs would be to go through
so-called slideshooters. Kodak has quite large models (11x14 I believe).
The advantage of these systems is that images are not rasterized and the
results I've seen (from smaller models) show no pixellization.

Greetings,

Carl Fransman

SALTO
Printing & Lithography